Lesson Plans

Reading
Nonfiction Summarizing Lesson Plan 4th Grade
Cause and Effect Unit 3rd Grade
Generating Questions 3rd Grade

Character Traits and Motivations Chart Lesson-Second Grade
fables-powerpoint context clues(1)-26ehefr – In this lesson, I found a free download from Ms. Smith’s Class Webpage and made a few changes.  In each fable, I highlighted a word that was the vocabulary word.  I would read the entire passage to the group (or a student would read).  Students were lined in two rows of chairs facing one another, creating automatic partners.  They would lean into close to their partner and discuss what the word may mean and what is the evidence, the clues, in the passage from text or illustrations.  Then we discussed as a class.  Students are allowed to share what their partner’s response was to encourage active listening.  After each turn, one row of students would move down one chair (one row of students moved towards the power point, then after the next turn, the other row moved away from the power point so partners change).  This allowed for movement and  new partners).  After each discussion, students moved, I or a student read, students leaned into discuss with a partner, class discussion, then one row moves again.  Moving rows is my revised version of Kagan’s Inside Outside Circle.  The only differences are using chairs, and rows facing one another instead of two circles.  After this lesson, students worked in partners with Reading A-Z stories highlighting words per instructions then using the sentence stem: “The word ______ may mean _____.  I think this because of the evidence in the words or pictures ____________ shows me_______.”
Writing – See Writing Resources Page
Compound Sentences Direct Teach-2k3hxtg with Mentor Text 3rd Grade

Photo Writing Prompts-17rkqy4 – One summer, one of my projects was creating this file of photos that I thought might be interesting to use in the classroom.  Besides serving as a prompt, often an alternate choice, I also give quick writes or use these pictures to teach a lesson such as using sensory detail.  It provides a concrete visual for the lesson.  These photos are also used in Reading lessons as well for Inferring, Predicting, and Analyzing.

Math
Coin Combinations to $1 Lesson 2nd Grade

Decomposing Fractions into Sums 4th Grade

Going Shopping Cards 2nd and 3rd review- I made these cards to practice counting money in a variety of ways.  We could show the value in base 10, we could show different combinations (decomposition) of the value in coins, we could pick two and add then show the number sentence, we could create word problems for one another to solve, and we could make comparisons.  These cards were used during lessons, small group, and practice (both partner or individual quick checks).

Math Mystery Book #1-1gtsyge – I had introduced my students to Choose Your Own Adventure books.  We were reviewing solving different math concepts in word problems.  To provide a new level of engagement, while providing additional insight what small groups were still needed, I wrote this Math Mystery Book.  There were many mistakes the first time, which I have hopefully removed.  The students loved it.  Some discovered how they could find the correct answer quickly, but since they had to show their work, they still had to work through the problem.

Science
5E states of matter 3rd Grade

Social Studies
Freedom Week US Flag 2nd Grade