Class Rules

Golden Rules

A friend of mine just became a second grade teacher.  This is exciting for multiple reasons – one simply the fulfillment of a dream and two – I discovered I am student teaching in second grade.  We’re thrilled to have this common ground because it’s one way we can feel connected since she is no longer a classmate.  Anyway, this morning we discussed class rules briefly (through texting).  She’s required to have 4 for the classroom.  This is interesting because my supervisor just recommended this week that we keep rules short and somewhat broad.  This allows for teacher discretion to consider each behavior miscue in context.  Did Johnny’s parents just divorce?  We want to take this situation into account.  There’s still accountability, but fair does not always mean the exact same.  Different children have different needs.  Okay, so back to the rules.  Here are my thoughts:

1. Be respectful and kind to yourself, others, and property.
  2. Follow directions.
  3. Try your best.
  4. Be positive.

It’s not anything new.  I plan to have students at the beginning of the year discuss what rules should be in the room, though students generally come up with rules that coordinate with what  I have written.   I will word the rules in accordance to our student led discussion perhaps with a little guidance.  Sound Sneaky? Not really – rules of fairness, respect, work ethic,  and a good attitude all cover the rules students will suggest because it’s what makes a community work well.  Expectations, how it looks, how it sounds, and why this is desirable will be discussed throughout the year.  In line with this, I just bought over 175 pages of a reward system that has fewer material rewards off of TeachersPayTeachers from a seller, Mel D.  It’s a dangerous, yet resourceful site – many items are free.