Thoughts on Foldables

I have to admit to not typically being a fan of foldables. However, I recently came across a blog through Pinterest titled Get into the Fold. This blog offered page after page of ideas, using thoughtful lessons including foldables as a means to implement the lesson. I wanted to save each idea onto my Evernote site, but I realized it would be too much. I chose to follow the blog.

What reeled me in? The first lesson was a Reader’s Response to character development using a template from Dinah Zilke’s Notebooking Central Literature Response book. To top it off, they were using one of my absolute favorite children’s books,

. The foldable led the student to understanding the character through explicit words in the text, words spoken by the character in question, words used by other characters, thoughts/feelings of the character, and actions of the character. It was a fantastic use of a foldable to inspire higher level thinking.

Of course, I have added two of Dinah Zilke’s Notebooking Central books to my wish list now. The one listed above and another one on literary elements.

I can’t wait to use them.