Writing Resources

Ideas from the Web, plus My Own Findings (Summer Project 2017 -growing)

My favorite! Writing Fix

The following show two links because I’ve made it so I can access my pdf if the site disappears:
https://dachee.edublogs.org/files/2017/05/Intro_6T_Pic_Books._Stapled_NEW-1i1k6lg.pdf
I found this from Smekenseducation.com

book list by trait-1p50g4o
I found this here edec.org

Writing and Reading Mentor Text txlaorg-1c5nq0i
Writing and Reading with Mentor Text – LONG list by txla.org

Using VOICES – voice, organization, ideas, conventions, excellent word choice, sentence fluency

If you want to teach reading/grammar with mentor books you have to check out The Teacher Next Door because it’s that informative!

Here’s a link to The Teacher Next Door’s reading mentor list, though she has several lists on her blog, then click and get ready to spend lots of money at Amazon.

Compound Sentences
My Name is Yoon by Helen Recorvits

The League of Beastly Dreadfuls by Holly Grant (chapter book)

Ideas
Rocket Write a Story by Tad Hills

“When I saw a notebook and camera in the field of blue flowers, I knew I was meant to be a journalist. That would be my destiny. But I couldn’t afford to leave Blackbird Hollow yet. How could I find a story worth telling stuck here in the mountains? Terrified of destiny passing me by, I decided to practice. I took photographs of the people in town, the farms, and the flowers. I developed those pictures in a darkroom my husband built for me near our barn. And after awhile…something happened. I began to fall in love with this place. I’ve lived here all my life, but seeing the mountains through a camera lens helped me realize the stories I missed. I became passionate about preserving the stories here, about collecting photographs that show what life is like in the Hollow. My articles and photographs went on to win many awards. But the greatest award I won was never a plaque or a trophy; it was knowing I devoted my days to sharing stories about real people – real lives – that mattered. My admonition: You don’t have to go looking for stories across the world. You only have to look out your window.” pp.43-44 The Key to Extraordinary by Natalie LLoyd

All the Places to Love by Patricia MacLachlan

The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg

The Plot Chickens by Mary Jane Auch

The Wednesday Surprise by Eve Bunting

Grownups Get to Do All the Driving by William Steig

Introduction Mentor Text
“On Thursday when Imogene woke up, she found she had grown antlers.” – shock – Imogene’s Antlers by David Small

“Everywhere in Martin’s hometown, he saw the signs, WHITE ONLY. His mother said these signs were in all Southern cities and towns in the United States. Every time Martin read the words, he felt bad, until he remembered what his mother told him: “You are as good as anyone.”” – appeal to emotions – Martin’s Big Words by Doreen Rappaport

“It’s the end of winter, and your pop’s lost his job. So every morning before school you scour the streets for firewood, hunched down in icy wind.” – appeal to emotions – Sky Boys by Deborah Hopkinson and James E. Ransome

“It should have been a perfect summer. My dad helped me build a tree house in our backyard. My sister was at camp for three whole weeks. And I was on the best baseball team in town. It should have been the perfect summer. But it wasn’t.” mystery – Enemy Pie by Derek Munson

“I’d planned for months. This was going to be the year of the perfect school picture. But some days, not everything goes according to plan.” – mystery – Picture Day Perfection by Deborah Diesen

“”Could you tell me a story?” asked Cole. “It’s awfully late.” It was long past dark, and time to be asleep. “What kind of story?” “You know. A true story. One about a bear.” We cuddled up close. “I’ll do my best,” I said.” – mystery – Finding Winnie by Lindsay Mattick

“Long ago a young woman named Margaret lived on a farm in County Donegal, in the west of Ireland. Between the wild sea banks and rugged crags and cliffs, she found enough green grass to raise a few cattle. She was a red woman, with hair and brows the color of burnished copper, skin white as milk, and cheeks ruddy as fire glow…” – descriptive narrative – Brave Margaret: An Irish Adventure by Robert D. San Souci

“Far below the earth’s surface, water drips from the roof of a cave. The drops fall through darkness into a large stone room no one has ever seen. No bird has ever sung here. The scent of wildflowers has never hung in the air. For thousands of years, the tomblike silence has been broken only by the sound of falling water. Drip. Drip. Drip.” – descriptive narrative – Caves by Stephen P. Kramer

“When we look out of our windows, what do we see?” Seed by Seed The Legend and Legacy of John “Appleseed” Chapman by Esmé Raji Codell (question)

“Where’s Pa going with that ax?” said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast. – Question/Shock –
Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White

“Have you ever been there where the Tickle Tree grows…and laughed as it jiggles its wings on your toes?” – question –
The Tickle Tree by Chae Strathie

“My dad and I live in an airport. That’s because we don’t have a home and the airport is better than the streets. We are careful not to get caught.” – emotions/shock – Fly Away Home by Eve Bunting

“Anastasia’s day began with a funeral, and it went downhill from there.” – emotions/shock –
The League of Beastly Dreadfuls by Holly Grant

“This egg sits snuggly on its father’s feet. He warms it with his body’s heat. Under his feathered belly, it’s cozy and warm, safe from the icy Antarctic storm.” – descriptive – by Mia Posada (apostrophes also)

“An empty street. Outside, a mean wind blows. Icicles hang from the windowsills.” – descriptive – Lemonade in Winter by Emily Jenkins

“Harry has been my best friend since kindergarten. He loves creepy things, slimy things, anything horrible. Except…one thing. And that’s what Song Lee and I found out the last day of second grade. The one horrible thing Harry hates.” – mystery –
Harry and the Drop of Doom by Suzy Kline

“There were 10 Things on Coke McDonald’s to-do list on June 17, but JUMP OFF A CLIFF was not one of them.  CLEAN OUT MY LOCKER was on the list.  PICK UP MY YEARBOOK was on the list.  GET BIRTHDAY PRESENT FOR PEP was on the list.  PACK FOR SUMMER VACATION was on the list.  But nothing about jumping off a cliff.  And yet, oddly enough, jumping off a cliff was the one thing that Coke McDonald was going To Do on June 17.  Not only was he going to jump off a cliff, but first he was going to push his twin sister, Pepsi.” – shock, repetition, intrigue (unique names) – The Genius Files by Dan Gutman

Organization
Orange Peel’s Pocket (transition words, generating questions for research)

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (personal narrative)

My Father’s Hands by Joanne Ryder

Sensory Detail

The outside air smelled like freedom, but it also smelled like rain which freckled CJ’s shirt and dripped down his nose.
from Last Stop on Market Street, by Matt de la Peña

I Need My Monster by Amanda Noll

Into the Sea by Brenda Z. Guiberson

Come On Rain by Karen Hesse

The Wall by Eve Bunting

Verdi by Janell Cannon

Caves by Stephen P. Kramer

The Quiet Book by Deborah Underwood

Mr. Duck Means Business by Tammi Sauer (verbs)

Crickwing by Janell Cannon

Bats at the Library by Brian Lies (a favorite)

Point of View

The Gardener by Sarah Stewart

Letter Writing

The Quiet Place by Sarah Stewart

Dear Children of the Earth by Schim Schimmel

The Gardener by Sarah Stewart

Dear Tooth Fairy by Alan Durant

Conclusion

Firebird by Misty Copeland (circular ending)
“the space between you and me is longer than forever” “the space between you and me is longer than forever and I will show you that forever is not so far away”

The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant (circular ending)

My Sister’s Wedding: A Story of Kenya by Waithira Mbuthia (circular ending)
“My sister, Wangari, is going to marry Munene. Tonight, I lie in bed and think about how much I will miss her.” “Tonight I lie in bed and think about my sister. I hear loud thunder and see the lightning light up my pitch-black room. Then I hear my sister’s soft voice say, “You’ll be fine, Wambui, you’ll see.” And I fall asleep knowing that she is right.”

Snowflakes Fall by Patricia MacLachlan (echo)
“After the flowers are gone snowflakes fall. Flake After flake After flake Each one a pattern All its own – No two the same- All beautiful.” “And when the flowers bloom The children remember the snowflakes And we remember the children – No two the same – All beautiful.”

Ada’s Violin by Susan Hood (nonfiction – Recycled Orchestra of Paraguay) (repetition, lesson learned)
“And as their performance came to a close…a crescendo of cheers, chants, and applause resounded across the park. The astonished kids bowed, grinning at one another. They had discovered the surprise waiting in the landfill. Buried in the trash was music. And buried in themselves was something to be proud of.”

Dear Juno by Soyung Pak (Descriptive Conclusion – good use of imagery, simile)
“Soon Juno was fast asleep. And when he dreamed that night, he dreamed of a faraway place, a village just outside of Seoul, where his grandmother, whose gray hair sat on top of her head like a powdered doughnut, was sipping her morning tea.
The cool air feels crisp against her cheek. Crisp enough to crackle, he dreams, like the golden leaves which cover the persimmon garden.”

Dancing With Wings by Debbie Allen (Reflective/Lesson Learned Conclusion – uses feeling)
“Mama was right – being tall wasn’t so bad after all, and neither was having a bad head. By the end of summer Hughie had won the grand prize at space camp in Alabama, and I got to dance a duet with Dwight in the summer concert. When Dwight left me high in the air, I felt like I was dancing on the Milky Way. Me and my big feet…making my mark on the world.”