Interviewing and Waiting

So what is an educator to do while waiting to land a dream job to share the joy of learning, while teaching life skills?  This eager beaver prepares for a future classroom in my spare time.  Sure, I give time to my family, but often my mind drifts to procedures, game extensions, formative assessment tools, or simply classroom decorating while an impatient family member prods,  “Earth to Mom again.”  Recently, we watched The Lego Movie.  I couldn’t help pulling out a pad to take notes about different scenes and characters.  Seriously, this move is awesome (if you’ve seen the movie, you know I had to use this adjective).  It will appeal to any elementary, plus older, age groups.  Later, I created a game board which now is in my “to be laminated” pile, then bought 10 Lego Movie mini-figures as game pieces.  They came in 3 different Lego sets which I’ll place in my Rainy Day Activity box.  If I use it for math, I can incorporate characters and scenarios into my word problems.  I can also use it as a general Reader Response board, Character Analysis, or Content review which will still be more engaging with Lego figures.  Depending on how long it takes to obtain a position, I might create a Positive Behavior management system using the Lego Board enlarged, similar to the Homework-opoly board that is floating around.  I’m also preparing an interactive bulletin board for formative assessment with posterboard T-charts/Venn Diagrams, etc.  I’m reading Science Formative Assessment by Page Keeley which I will adjust to serve all subjects.  However, if I know what grade I will have, then I will concentrate on content extension games to use during flex group periods.  As far as the interviews, is anyone a fan though I certainly understand and support the process of finding a mutual fit?  So I will smile, walk in, share my thoughts…and until then, prepare.  There’s always plenty to do so the time will pass quickly.  Oh, and with summer, I can enjoy more time for socializing also.  Here’s a picture of my board – the white squares will have questions, problems, or board action directives if I use pre-made problems.  The action figures (not pictured) will move along the spaces – I will probably alternate “move forward _ space(s)” and using die according to the games I make because I plan to use this board for multiple games/subjects.  Much to do and enjoy – cheers!

Lego game